Sunday, September 18, 2011

For the Love of Solids... sent and received

So I signed up to participate in the For the Love of Solids swap on Flickr. I've posted a little bit about my project for this swap already--well, now it is FINALLY finished and in the mail.

 

DSCN3292

This is a 27" by 27" wall hanging. I used 8 different colors of solids--mostly Kona but a couple were from Connecting Threads. The quilt block was from here (and, not to toot my own horn or anything, but how much better does this look in solids than in the fabric used in that quilt?) and the background is a coal gray from Joann's. I handquilted by outlining the whole way around the outside of the quilt and inside the larger gray squares with charcoal embroidery floss. Then I cut strips of each color used (about 10 inches long, I think) and pieced them together to make a scrappy binding. I also added folded triangles on the back for my partner to hang it.

The pros of this quilt: I made almost NO mistakes in piecing these blocks. I can't stress how amazing this is. When considering that the first block I considered making was this one (haha, yeah, I'm crazy) this was infinitely preferable.

The cons: I'm not necessarily thrilled with the color layout--I wish I had spent some time planning out what color mixes I was going to use in advance instead of jumping right in. Also, the blocks aren't particularly well aligned and the binding is not sewn on perfectly. I attached the binding by machine, and didn't have anything to put in the bobbin that would blend in with the binding (now, after it's done, I know to use monofilament thread) so instead I used the same dark gray on the top and bottom, which doesn't look great in my opinion. But hopefully my partner will like it.

Close-up of the hand-quilting:

DSCN3293

I am not a fan of hand-quilting. If it weren't for the fact that my partner specifically said that she loves hand-stitching, I wouldn't have bothered. I much prefer the process of quilting by machine.

 

We also had to include a small item in there, which did not have to be made by hand. My partner had mentioned that she wouldn't mind receiving a hoop, so I got a variety of sizes and made three hoops, all using a four-patch in blue, teal, and chartreuse.

DSCN3294

This was my first time making a decorative hoop, too, but I think they turned out pretty well. I wish I had read the tutorial ahead of time so that it would have been easier for me to trim the edges and whatnot. I also threw in 4 fat quarters of Loulouthi. I shipped it yesterday, and I'm hoping she likes it!

 

On Thursday I also received my package.

DSCN3291

 

This was a GREAT package! A tote bag made with linen and a rainbow of solids, including lots of pinks. A matching zippered pouch. A cute embroidered keychain, and a charm pack of City Weekend by Moda. I love all of it and think that my partner (chloeandme) did a fantastic job! I must admit, though, that I had a whole lot of feelings of inferiority when I got it--all the piecing, topstitching, etc. is SO perfect! I hope mine is that good someday.

 

Sorry for the lack of blogging lately--sewing is happening, but not with any regularity, and I have so much work to do all the time that I feel guilty about taking time out to sew and/or blog. :( Is it winter break yet?

One more thing--thank you SO much to Sharon of Craizee Corners! I won a giveaway on her blog and received two Tula Pink patterns in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to using them! :)

DSCN3289

Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I think your swap items look great! I really like the block you used in the mini quilt. Everything I have seen for that swap is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!